Midaortic syndrome and hypertension in childhood revealed by enuresis: a case report
Middle aortic syndrome (MAS) results from a diffuse narrowing of the distal thoracic or abdominal aorta commonly involving both the visceral and renal arteries. Congenital, acquired, inflammatory, and infectious etiologies have been described. Symptoms occur within the first three decades of life. Revelation modes are dominated by hypertension, lower extremity claudication, and mesenteric ischemia. We herein report a pediatric case of MAS with an original revelation mode that has never been described before in medical literature.
Pediatric Imaging: Variants and Other Difficult Diagnoses.
2. O'Neill JA, Berkowitz JH, Fellows KJ, Harmon CM. Midaortic
syndrome and hypertension in childhood. J Pediatr Surg 1995;
3. Arnot RS, Louw JH. The anatomy of the posterior wall of the
abdominal aorta. Its significance with regard to hypoplasia of
the distal aorta. S Afr Med J 1973; 47:899-902.
4. Siassi B, Klyman G, Emmanoulides GC. Hypoplasia of the
abdominal aorta associated with the rubella syndrome. Am J
Dis Child 1970; 120: 476-9.
5. Caillens H, Prusczynski W, Meyrier A, Ang K, Rousselet F and
Ardaillou R. Relationship between change in volemia at constant
osmolality and plasma antidiuretic hormone. Miner Electrol
Metab 1980; 4: 161-171
6. Panayiotopoulos YP, Tyrrell MR, Koffman G, Reidy JF, Haycock
GB, Taylor PR. Mid-aortic syndrome presenting in childhood. Br
J Surg 1996; 83:235-40.
7. Children's voiding disorders Swiss Pediatric Nephrology Working
Groups * A. Wilhelm-Bals, J. Birraux, E. Girardin, Genève.
PAEDIATRICA. Vol 21. No 5. 2010
8. Wiest JW, Traverso LW, Dainko EA, Barker WF. Atrophic
coarctation of the abdominal aorta. Ann Surg 1980; 191(2).
9. Mid-aortic syndrome: A case report and review of the literature.
Yu-Jan Lin, Betau Hwang, Pi-Chang Lee, Ling-Yu Yang, C.C.
Laura Meng. International Journal of Cardiology 123 (2008)
10. Chalmers RTA, Dhadwal A, Deal JE, Sever PS, Wolfe JHN. The
surgical management of renovascular hypertension in children
and young adults. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2000; 19:400-5.
11. Konig K, Gellermann J, Querfeld U, Schneider MB. Treatment
of severe renal artery stenosis by percutaneous transluminal
renal angioplasty and stent implantation. Pediatr Nephrol 2006;
12. Middle aortic syndrome: A case report.M. Taberkant, M.
Madani, H. Chtata, M. Drissi, M. Mahi, A. Elkirat Annales de
Cardiologie et d’Angéiologie 57 (2008) 243-245.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Copyright policies & self-archiving
We are a RoMEO green journal.
Author's Pre-print: author can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Author's Post-print: author can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing)
Publisher's Version/PDF: author can archive publisher's version/PDF
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access and Benefits of Publishing Open Access).
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.
Articles are published Under License of Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License © Copyright Policy
Any permissions should be requested to PLSclear.com