Symptomatic Bochdalek Hernia in Adult: a Case Report
Background: The congenital malformation of the posterolateral portion of the diaphragm is called the Bochdalek hernia, and was first described in 1948 by anatomy professor Bochdalek. The diagnosis in adults is extremely rare, being in the majority, an occasional finding in a chest x-ray.
Case: The authors report a Bochdalek Hernia case in an adult pacient, with complaints of dyspnea and epigastralgia refractory to pharmacological treatment. The diagnosis was confirmed after a chest CT scan.
Conclusion: Bochdalek hernias are extremely rare in adults, commonly diagnosed in childhood. The importance of recognition of its diagnosis is crucial, so it should be always among differential diagnoses in radiology, due to the range of complications that may affect the patients.
1. Oliveira Daniel Riccioppo C.F. de, Rodrigues Jr. Aldo Junqueira. Hérnia de bochdalek em adulto. Rev. Col. Bras. Cir. 2008; 35 (1): 40-41
2. Tavares FLS, AsCBC-ES , Tavares MB, Pimentel MC, Machado IFR, Loureiro ER, et al. Hérnia diafragmática congênita em adulto. Rev. Col. Bras. Cir.2016;(4):1-3.
3. Mihaimeed F, Young A, Paes T. Na unusual cause of large bowel obstruction. Ann Thorac Surg. 1996;29: 309-310
4. Sheehn JJ, Kearns SR, Mcnamara DA, Brennan RP, Deasy JM. Adult Presentation of Agenesis of the Hemidiaphrgm. Chest. 2000; 117 (3): 901-902
5. Souza PH, Breigeiron R, Oliveira JK, Tatim JO, Costa LB. Rev Amrigs. 2004; 48 (4): 265-267
6. Sutedja B, Muliani Y. Laparoscopic repair of Bochdalek hernia in an adult woman. Asian J Endosc Surg. 2015;8(3):354-356
7. Zhou Y, Du H, Che G. Giant congenital diaphragmatic hernia in an adult. J Cardiothorac Surg. 2014;9:31
8. Swain JM, Klaus A, Achem SR, Hinder RA. Congenital diaphragmatic hernia in adults. Semin Laparoc Surg 2001;8:246-355
9. Kinoshita F, Ishiyama M, Honda S, Matsuzako M, Oikado K, Kinoshita T, et al. Late-presenting posterior transdiaphragmatic (Bochdalek) hernia in adults: prevalence and MDCT Characteristics. Thorac Imaging 2009;24(1):17-22
10. Garófano-Jerez JM, López GJD, Valero GM.ª Ángeles, VBM. Posterolateral Bochdalek diaphragmatic hernia in adults. Rev. esp. enferm. dig.. 2011;103( 9 ): 484-491
11. Vieira LH, Castanhel DC, Tristão LJ , Guimarães A, Ribas CS. Hérnia diafragmática congênita simulando derrame pleural. Relato de caso. Rev Bras Clin Med. 2013; 11 (1): 94-96.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Copyright policies & self-archiving
We are a RoMEO green journal.
Author's Pre-print: author can archive pre-print (ie pre-refereeing)
Author's Post-print: author can archive post-print (ie final draft post-refereeing)
Publisher's Version/PDF: author can archive publisher's version/PDF
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access and Benefits of Publishing Open Access).
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.
Articles are published Under License of Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License © Copyright Policy
Any permissions should be requested to PLSclear.com